Norwalk Veterinary Medical Center
LOW FAT DOG BISCUITS
1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup wheat germ
1/2 cup powdered low fat milk
1/2 tsp. salt
2 tbsp. canola oil
1 tsp. brown sugar
3 egg whites
2 tbsp. low fat chicken stock
1/2 cup water
Combine flours, wheat germ, powdered milk, and salt in large bowl.
Cut in oil. Beat brown sugar with egg whites and add to mixture.
Add stock and water gradually as necessary to make a stiff dough.
Knead on floured board until dough is smooth and pliable.
Refrigerate, then roll out to 1/2 thickness and cut with cookie cutter.
Bake at 325 degrees for approx. 25 minutes or until lightly browned.
Cool. Makes about two dozen.
LOW-SODIUM & LOW-FAT PET PUMPKIN TREATS
2 1/2 cups quick cook oats
2 egg whites
1/2 cup vegetable water, preferably unsalted
(left over from cooking fresh vegetables such as beans, potatoes, spinach, corn or carrots
but with NO onion or garlic water)
2 tablespoons homemade or canned pumpkin puree
or substitute low fat Greek yogurt
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Soak oats in vegetable water for a few minutes.
3. Combine soaked oats with the rest of the ingredients.
4. Drop by teaspoonful onto a lightly greased or sprayed cookie sheet.
5. Bake for approximately 20 minutes.
6. Let cool.
7. Store in refrigerator. Use within 1 week or freeze.
Back to NVMC